Tuesday, September 14, 2010

L'Estrange: A Wolf and a Sheep

A Wolf that lay Licking of his Wounds, and extreamly Faint and Ill upon the Biting of a Dog, call’d out to a Sheep that was passing by. Hark ye Friend (says he) if thou wouldst but help me to a Soup of Water out of the same Brook there, I could make a Shift to get my self somewhat to Eat. Yes, said the Sheep, I make no Doubt on’t; but when I bring ye Drink, my Carcase shall serve ye for Meat to’t.

It is a Charitable and Christian Office to relieve the Poor and the Distressed; but this Duty does not Extend to Sturdy Beggars, that while they are receiving Alms with One Hand, are ready to Beat out a Man’s Brains with the Other.

Source: L'Estrange 186.
Ovis et Lupus Saucius

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all J. M. Conde's color Aesop illustrations.
M0305 Perry160

No comments:

Post a Comment