Monday, September 13, 2010

L'Estrange: A Bat and a Weazle

A Weazle had seiz’d upon a Bat, and the Bat begg’d for Life. No, no, says the Weazle, I give no Quarter to Birds. Ah, (says the Bat) but I am a Mouse you see; look on my Body else: And so she got off for that Bout. The same Bat had the Fortune to be taken a-while by another Weazle; and there the poor Bat was forc’d to beg for Mercy once again. No, says the Weazle, no Mercy to a Mouse. Well (says t’other) but you may see by my Wings that I’m a Bird; and so the Bat scap’d in both Capacities, by playing the Trimmer.

Trimming, in some, Cases, is foul and dishonest; in others laudable, and in some again not only honest but necessary. The Nicety lies in the Skill of distinguishing upon Cases, Times, and Degrees.

Source: L'Estrange 40.
Vespertilio et Mustela

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the Milo Winter images.
M0400 Perry172

No comments:

Post a Comment