Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Pig Denounced by the Sheep

The Pig Denounced by the Sheep. A pig had been denounced by the sheep because he never showed his thanks to their master, who fed the pig so generously, while the sheep offered him milk, wool and their lambs. "When I am dead," said the pig, "I'll show my thanks; he has his own reasons for feeding me."

Porcus ab Ovibus Criminatus. Porcus, criminatus ab Ovibus, quod domino, a quo tanta pascebatur diligentia, nullam referret gratiam, cum ipsae lac, lanam, agnosque illi praeberent. "Mortuus," inquit, "referam; non ab re me nutrit."

Notes. This is Abstemius 158. As usual with Abstemius, it is not found in Perry's inventory.This is one of my very favorite fables by Abstemius - so much meaning in just two little sentences!

No comments:

Post a Comment