Thursday, March 10, 2011

Boothby: The Sun and the Wind

Phoebus and Boreas from on high
Upon the road a Horseman spy,
Wearing a cloak for fear of rain.
Says Boreas, "His precaution's vain
'Gainst me, I'll shew you for a joke
How soon I'll make him quit his cloak."
"Come on," says Phoebus, "let us see
Who best succeeds, or you or me."
The Wind to blow so fierce began,
He almost had unhors'd his man;
But still the cloak, for all his roar,
Was wrapp'd more closely than before.
When Boreas what he could had done,
"Now for my trial," says the Sun,
And with his beams so warm'd the air,
The Man his mantle could not bear,
But open'd first, then threw aside.
Learn hence, unbending sons of pride,
Persuasive manners will prevail,
When menaces and bluster fail.


Source: Boothby - Avianus 3.

Sol et Boreas

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the Crane images.

M0741 Perry046

No comments:

Post a Comment