Friday, December 14, 2001

L'Estrange: A Fox and a Cock.

A Hungry Fox that had got a Cock in his Eye, and could not tell how to come at him; cast himself at his length upon the Ground, and there he lay winking and pinking as if he had Sore Eyes. Ah, (says he to the Cock) I have gotten a Thorn here, with Creeping through a hedge t'other Day; 'twould be the greatest Charity in the World, if you would but help me out with it. Why truly, says the Cock, I am no Oculist, and if I should go to Help One Eye, and put Out T'other with my Spur, we should have but an Untoward Business on't; but if you are not in very great Haft, I can fly Home in a Trice, and bring ye One that shall certainly Cure ye. The Fox finding 'twas all but Banter: Well, (says he) 'tis no Great Matter then; for the more Physicians, the more Danger, they say.

Shuffling and Fencing, is in many Cases both Allowable and Necessary: Especially where Craft is to be Encounter'd with Craft.


Source: L'Estrange 432.



Image Source: From the French Roman de Renart by Pierre de Saint-Cloud.
M0047 (not in Perry)

No comments:

Post a Comment