Thursday, November 18, 2010

L'Estrange: A Man that would never Hear Ill News.

One came to a Country Grazier, and ask'd him if he should tell him a piece of News. Is't Good or Bad? (says he.) Nay, says t'other, 'tis not very Good. Pray, says the Grazier, keep it to your self then; and so he went his way. The Grazier was telling the next day, that the Wolves had Kill'd one of his Bullocks: That's like enough says the same Man, for I saw hin Wandring from the Herd, and I was afraid on't. I would you had told me this in time, says the Grazier. Why I came I know not how far Yesterday a-purpose to tell you the Story, and you would not hear on't.

The Man is too Delicate to be Happy, that makes it in his Bargain not to hear any ting that may give him a Present Trouble.


Source: L'Estrange 457.
(not in Mille) (not in Perry)

No comments:

Post a Comment