Friday, October 8, 2010

L'Estrange: Two Travellers and a Bag of Money

As Two Travellers were upon the Way together, One of ‘em Stoops and taken up Something. Look ye here (says he) I have found a Bag of Money: No says T’other, When Two Friends are together, You must not say "I" have found it, but "WE" have found it. The Word was no sooner Out, but immediately comes a Hue and Cry after a Gang of Thieves that had taken a Purse upon the Road. Lord! Brother (says he that had the Bag) We shall be Utterly Undone. Oh Phy, says T’other, You must not say "WE" shall be undone, but "I" shall be undone. For I’m to have no Part in the Findings, sure I’ll never go Halves in the Hanging.

They that will Enter into Leagues and Partnerships must take the Good and the Bad, One with Another.


Source: L'Estrange 163.

The Travellers and the Money-Bag (William Mulready, 1807: source).

M0922 Perry067

No comments:

Post a Comment