Saturday, October 23, 2010

L'Estrange: Jupiter and a Herdsman

A Herds-Man that had lost a Calf out of his Grounds, sent up and down after it; and when he could get no Tidings on’t, he betook himself at last to his Prayers according to the Custom of the World, when People are brought to a Forc’d-Put. Great Jupiter (says he) Do but shew me the Thief that stole my Calf, and I’ll give thee a Kid for a Sacrifice. The Word was no sooner pass’d but the Thief appear’d; which was indeed a Lion. This Discovery put him to his Prayers once again. I have not forgotten my Vow, says he, but now thou hast brought me to the Thief, I’ll make the Kid a Bull, if thou’lt but set me Quit of him again.

We cannot be too Careful and Considerate what Vows and Promises we make; for the very Granting of our Prayers turns many times to our Utter Ruin.


Source: L'Estrange 200.
Bubulcus et Iuppiter

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the Croxall images.

M0777 Perry049

No comments:

Post a Comment