Saturday, October 2, 2010

L'Estrange: A Country-man and a Panther.

A Panther had the Fortune to drop into a Pit-fall. The People came Flocking about him; some Pelting and Battering him with Stones and Cudgels; others Pity'd him, and threw him somewhat to Eat. Toward Night, they went All Home again, taking for granted that they should find him Dead next Morning: But in that Interim he came to Himself again, and gave 'em the Slip: And upon getting Loose, he made such Havock both with Man and Beast, that the whole Country, Friend and Foe, were all in Dread of him. The Panther finding the Fright so General, call'd out to 'em, and told them; So many of ye (says he) as were King to me in the Pit, set your Hearts at Rest, for I'll not Hurt a Creature of ye now I am at Liberty. I have not forgotten who they were that gave me Bread, and who threw Stones at me; and I'm an Enemy only to those that were Enemies to me.

There's no Creature so Wild and Savage, and but it may be wrought upon and Reclaim'd by Good Offices and Benefits; to the shame of that part of Mankind, that returns Evil for Good, and is yet to Learn Humanity from the Beasts of the Forrests.


Source: L'Estrange 490.
panthera et agrestes

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the colored Steinhowel images. You can see one man offering the panther some food, while another one wants to beat the panther with a club.
M0138 Perry494

No comments:

Post a Comment