Tuesday, October 26, 2010

L'Estrange: A Bull and a Goat.

A Bull that was hard press'd by a Lion, ran directly toward a Goat-Stall, to save himself. The Goat made good the Door, and Head to Head disputed the Passage with him. Well! says the Bull with Indignation. If I had not a more dangerous Enemy at my Heels, than I have before me, I should soon teach you the Difference betwixt the Force of a Bull and of a Goat.

'Tis no Time to stand quarrelling with every little Fellow, when Men of Power are pursuing us upon the Heel to the very Death.


Source: L'Estrange 218.
Taurus Leonem Fugiens et Hircus

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the Tenniel-Wolf images. In this illustration, the goat is in a cave, not in a goat-stall, as in L'Estrange's version.

M0317 Perry217

No comments:

Post a Comment