Saturday, September 25, 2010

L'Estrange: A Widow had a Mind to Marry.

Well! says a Widow in Confidence to a Friend of hers, I am utterly undone for want of a Sober, Provident Husband, to look after my Estate; and there's no Body's Advice that I had rather have than Yours. But pray, will you take This along with You too; that for the Coarse, Common Bus'ness of Matrimony, as I am an Honest Woman, the very Thoughts on't turns my Stomach; Very well, says the Confident, and now I know your Mind, it shall go hard but I'll fit ye. The good Woman went her way for the present, and the next Day came to her again, quite overjoy'd that she had found out a Man (says she) of Industry and Integrity; and one that perfectly understands all sorts of Bus'ness; and then for Turning your Stomach, my Life for yours, Madam, he's not in a Condition to give you any Qualms that way. Away, he Fool, says she, I hate the Infirmity, though I love the Virtue.

Women are all of a Make, and in some Things most of them in a Mind. One Woman feels another Woman's Pulse in her own Veins; and there's no halting before Cripples.


Source: L'Estrange 283.
(not in Mille) (not in Perry)

No comments:

Post a Comment