Wednesday, September 8, 2010

L'Estrange: A Stag with One Eye

A one ey’d Stag was afraid of the Huntsmen at Land, kept a Watch that Way with T’other Eye, and fed with his blind-side toward an Arm of the Sea, where he thought there was no Danger. In this Prospect of Security, he was Struck with an Arrow from a Boat, and so ended his Days with this Lamentation: Here am I destroy’d, says he, where I reckon’d my Self to be Safe on the One Hand; and no Evil has befall’n me, where I most Dreaded it, on the Other.

We are liable to Many Unlucky Accidents that no care or Foresight can Prevent: But we are to provide the Best we can against them, and leave the Rest to Providence.

Source: L'Estrange 147.
Cervus et Mare

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the Crane images.
M0162 Perry075

No comments:

Post a Comment