Wednesday, September 15, 2010

L'Estrange: An Old Dog and a Master

An old Dog, that in his Youth had led his Master many a merry Chase, and done him all the Offices of a trusty Servant, came at last, upon falling from his Speed and Vigor to be loaden at every turn with Blows and Reproaches for it. Why Sir, says the Dog, my Will is as good as ever it was, but my Strength and my Teeth are gone; and you might with as good a Grace, and every Jot as much Justice, hang me up because I’m old, as beat me because I’m impotent.

The Reward of Affection and Fidelity must be the Work of another World: Not but that the Conscience of well-doing is a Comfort that may pass for a Recompence even in this; in despite of Ingratitude and Injustice.

Source: L'Estrange 27.
canis antiquus et eius dominus

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the colored Steinhowel images.

M0377 Perry532

No comments:

Post a Comment