Tuesday, September 7, 2010

L'Estrange: A Dog and a Thief

As a Gang of Thieves were at work to rob a House, a Mastiff took the Alarum, and fell a barking: One of the Company spoke him fair, and would have stopt his Mouth with a Crust. No, says the Dog, this will not do, for several Reasons. First, I’ll take no Bribes to betray my Master. Secondly, I am not such a Fool neither, as to sell the Ease and Liberty of my whole Life to come, for a piece of Bread in Hand: for when you have rifled my Master, pray who shall maintain me?

Fair Words, Presents, and Flatteries, are the Methods of Treachery in Courts, as well as in Cottages; only the Dogs are truer to their Masters than the Men.

Source: L'Estrange 21.
Fur et Canis

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the Griset images. I like the way Griset adapted this to an Arctic setting!

M0385 Perry403

No comments:

Post a Comment