Friday, September 3, 2010

L'Estrange: A Doctor and his Patient

Pray, Sir, how d'ye find yourself? Says the Dr. to his patient. Why truly, says the Patient, I have had a violent Sweat; oh the best Sign in the World, quoth the Dr. And then a little while after he is at it again, with a pray how d'ye find your Body? Alas, says t'other, I have just now had such a terrible Fit of horror and shaking upon me! Why this is all as it should be, says the Physician, it shews a mighty Strength of Nature. And then he comes over him a third time with the same Question again; why I am all swell'd, says t'other, as if I had a Dropsy; best of all, quoth the Doctor, and goes his way. Soon after this, comes one of the sick Man's Friends to him with the same Question, how he felt himself; why truly so well, says he, that I am e'en ready to die, of I know not how many good Signs and Tokens.

A death-bed Flattery is the worst of Treacheries.

Source: L'Estrange 95.
Aegrotus, Amicus et Medicus

Click here for a SLIDESHOW of all the Brant images. As you can see here, the man's friend is talking to him, as the man is dying (his soul is coming out of his mouth), while the doctor stares, unconcerned, out the window.

M0901 Perry170

No comments:

Post a Comment